Choose the Best Board Game for Couples
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Board Games for Couples
110 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
When you want to spend a little alone time with a special someone, then playing a couple’s board game might be an excellent idea. Whether you are a new couple or a duo who is celebrating several years of togetherness, having something fun to do can be exciting and eye-opening. Learning about each other promotes stimulating conversations and builds a stronger bond.
A few of the games on our list are not just for a romantic night at home. You can also use some games to have an adult party where couples pair up as teams. Some games even allow you to play guys against girls. When you need something to beat the same old card or dice game, then keep reading to see fun options on this Top Five Couples Board Games List.
Monogamy – Best Intimate Game
You may like that this game starts out with a staring contest to see who goes first.
If you like experimenting with each other, then this game might be exactly the right pick. Couples can skip the gameplay and go straight for dream time if they want. The 50 fantasy cards offer ideas for intimate encounters.
|Three game levels – Intimate, passionate, and steamy||May need other items like a blindfold or sleeping mask to complete some tasks|
|Includes 50 card fantasy deck for fast tracking the fun||Some food or drinks go along with the game, so reading the directions before you want to play is important|
|Over 400 topics||Not available in Spanish|
|Requires no batteries||–|
What Do You Meme – Best Party Game
When you want to pair up with your buddies or the girls, then this game allows you to rearrange the groups.
Previous players suggest getting the most out of this game by picking caption cards that fit the personality of the judge. Purchasing expansion packs will give you newer memes for playing. This game is for couples, families, parties, and large groups.
|Adults only||Needs one player to act as a judge to choose the photo each person must caption|
|Premium card bases||The judge chooses the winning person for each round|
|Easel included||May contain old memes|
|50 picture cards and over 400 task and conversation cards||–|
|Can add up to eight expansion packs||–|
|Storage box stores the cards carefully when not in use||–|
Talk, Flirt, and Dare – Best Box Set
Whether you are bored or just want to add some excitement to your night, Talk, Flirt, and Dare will add some spice to your night.
When you want to get people to open up at an adult party, this game can help. The Talk cards let couples ask each other questions and play out tame interactions that are safe for group play. Find out what your boyfriend or wife secretly hates while playing this game together.
|For group or intimate play||No pictures|
|Easy to understand rules and conversations||May run across the same questions after playing it a few times – especially as a couple|
|Three levels to choose from and explore||–|
|The entire set is lightweight making it easy to take on a vacation or to another person’s house||–|
Our Moments – Best Conversational Game
If you want a conversational game you can play in bed, then this item could be the right choice for you. The game consists of cards that come with a handy storage box to keep the game pieces safe and in one spot. When listening is a skill one or both of you need to practice, then this game could give everyone time to get to know each better.
|Uses thought-provoking questions to elicit responses||Fewest questions on our Top Five list|
|100 questions to ask||May contain too many basic questions|
|Convenient size for traveling||–|
|Encourages open communication||–|
|Excellent idea for parties||–|
Unstable Unicorns – Best Multiple Player Game
With rainbow letters and a funky unicorn horn, you will be sure to recognize this intense game. Since there are other card decks one can purchase, this game is easy to upgrade. The game can accommodate up to eight players.
|Suitable for family time||Game may be tedious to get ready for play|
|Fast rounds at less than an hour each||Long and difficult directions|
|Peoples Choice Award Winner||Most involved game on our list with doubles of some cards|
|Top Kickstarter project||–|
|Uses strategy to destroy other’s characters and magic to leap ahead of all players||–|
|Plays as a standalone option and you can upgrade with expansion packs||–|
Best Couples Home Games – Buyer’s Guide
When you need a way to liven up a stale party, then pulling out a board game can quickly change the atmosphere. Getting loved ones to put down the phone for some intimate conversation helps promote healthier relationships. We talk about a few of the most common questions people ask about board games below.
Board games FAQ’s
Do we need to purchase or find other items to play the game
Some games like Monogamy may suggest using items you can usually find around the house. If there is something you come across that you do not have, then there is nothing wrong with skipping that one and moving on to the next. You can always add the item to next week’s grocery list and use it next time.
Can three or more people play
Many of the games on this list are adaptable for party games. However, we suggest playing Monogamy and the upper levels of Talk, Flirt, and Dare in the privacy of the bedroom.
How risque are the games
The tiered games have beginning levels that you can use at parties or as beginner picks. As you progress, these games get more intimate.
Video Tutorial: How To Play What Do You Meme
Couples board games – Final thoughts
We love the idea of playing games to get closer to someone. Having fun at a party is at the top of our list too. We think this Best Couples Board Games List will give you a variety of options to suit your lifestyle. We like Monogamy for getting up close and personal. To throw some excitement into your next event, we suggest going with the Unstable Unicorns game. Finally, nothing says you cannot choose a couple of games. Moods change and, so do preferences.
From time to time, I post the reviews dedicated to other board games but Jenga. By the way, it is a mistake to think that board titles are good only for family nights, kids or teen parties. No, there are specific games you may pick even for a date night, including Jengas for adults and couples.
My girlfriend and I personally tested about 20 adult board games. Some of them are dirty and funny if you know what I mean, others are romantic, the thirds are playful and seductive. The results of these funny tests you can see on this page. Further, I want to explain how and why I picked these particular titles.
Top 3 board activities for couples, according to Jenga-Game:
- Monogamy – probably one of the most popular titles in the genre “for couples”. It offers over 400 ideas for a seductive date, with 3 interactive levels for play and 50 fantasy cards. A good addition to any date;
- What do you Meme? – despite the playful name, this game is not recommended for anyone younger than 18 years. It’s funny that the game requires at least 3 players to play, but we managed to have fun without a third person. I can’t this game is for every couple, but if you are an internet geek, “What do you Meme?” will be fine for you;
- Talk Flirt Dare – a couple-focusing version of “Truth or Dare”. There are no complicated rules and boring card-picking. The title says it all. Try this game and your couple will surely have fun;
My idea of this guide was to deliver a number of top-notch funny and seductive titles for couples who want to have a fun time on a date night. I hope you liked my picks. I want to emphasize that every game on this list is under $30. So, they won’t kill your budget. And won’t collect dust on the shelves because many of these titles can be used for party nights too. What do you think about this review? Don’t forget to check the video about one of the games from the list.
Board Games for Couples FAQ:
What are good board games for couples?
Laugh, build, create, fool around and play together with your partner, thanks to a bunch of great board games. Typically, board games for couples offer a greater level of intimacy compared to other titles. Table games for couples usually presume a 2-player experience so you could learn your partner better through the game.
A few awesome board games for couples who want to spend a cozy night together:
- Splendor is a historic strategy game for 2-4 players, each gaming session lasts about 30 minutes;
- Qwirkle is a quite simple and meditative game of matching colors and shapes;
- Fog Of Love is a good couple role-play game with a few expansion packs;
- Jaipur is another brilliant 30-minute game for a couple. Get ready to accept the light strategy challenge;
- You’ve Got Crabs is a nice pick for a double date. Its art is extremely funny and cartoonish;
- Hanabi is a cooperative game for 2-5 players where you need to create a fireworks show;
- Bears Vs. Babies is a popular party and couple game (for 2-5 players). Each gaming match lasts about 20 minutes. It is very light and funny;
Is playing board games just for fun?
Board games do not just help to spend your leisure time with family and friends. They also deliver a positive mood, develop communication and social skills, mindfulness, memory and perseverance. Depending on the board game type, it can form economic, tactical, detective and strategic thinking. Also, it is a great way to spend Valentine’s Day after a romantic dinner.
Do board games help to learn new things about a partner?
Yes, indeed board games for couples help to learn new things, hidden desires and thoughts about one another. You will be able to explore the behavior of your second half. Besides, you will interact, laugh, share some wishes, likes, dreams and hopes. Such games help to build rapport.
Surely, if a person is shy or reserved a simple board game won’t make him or her more talkative, but it will definitely help to break the ice.
Is playing board games together brings a couple closer?
Playing a suitable board game together with your partner can bring you closer. Most board games for couples require two people to participate equally. During the gaming process two people communicate, laugh, get to know each other’s hidden thoughts and desires. More importantly, they create shared memories.
Besides, board games can help couples:
- Strengthen relationships and improve cooperation;
- Decrease stress and bring laughter;
- Have face-to-face communication that rarely happens in the digital era;
- Enhance creativity and self-confidence;
- Reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease (especially for elderly people);
Playing board games at least once per week will help to become much closer to your partner especially if both of you have stressful jobs. It is a proven fact that most board games can help to reduce stress.
How to play the Monogamy board game?
The Monogamy board game is quite popular among couples. It helps to build and resolve intimate tension and get to know your partner better. The rules may seem a bit complicated at first. But after a few gaming sessions, you may find it very entertaining and simple.
Here is how you should play Monogamy board game:
- Every player should go around the board 6 times. The progress becomes more intimate – every player must go twice around 3 levels – Pink, Purple and Steamy Red. Each time the player passes “GO” he or she should put a colored ring on his or her counter in a particular order – pink and pink; purple and purple; red and red. Such an order helps to remember the level.
- After passing “GO”, the player should also pick a Fantasy card (with certain tasks according to the player’s level). The player can’t hold more than 2 Fantasy cards at the same time.
- The winner is the player who completed 6 rounds (two pink, two purple, two red) first. The winner may choose two remaining cards by reading it to the partner. And that is how fantasy finally becomes a reality.
Also, you may check the official rules of the Monogamy board game.
What are good 2-player games for couples or just friends?
If you don’t seek intimate board games with role-playing or romantic trivia and just want to have fun with your partner, it is better to focus on 2-player games that are typically recommended for friends. For instance, you may have fun while playing these games:
- Pandemic will help to save humanity from a deadly disease. It reminds such coop video games as Left 4 Dead;
- Gloomhaven is a nice addition if you like RPG games about adventurers. You and your partner will be able to clean dungeons or fight enemies;
- 7 Wonders: Duel will be particularly interesting if you are a fan of the video game franchise Civilization. Take part in historical battles with your partner;
- Ticket to Ride is not the Beatles song but a great competitive title where you need to cross the country by building railroad tracks;
- Codenames: Duet is a 2-player version of the popular game Codenames. Use word associations to explain the goal of the mission;
Scythe delivers a stark portrayal of war-torn Eastern Europe during World War I. This game will help to develop building and strategic skills;
- Caper is a nice card game where the players must solve a murder mystery;
- The Fox in the Forest is a trick-tracking title that helps to deal with fairytale creatures and foxes in a fantasy setting;
- Tiny Towns is a nice-looking resource-management game title. The average playtime is 45-60 minutes;
- Morels is a card game where you need to find mushrooms, cook and deliver these dishes for the opponent;
- The Game of Life is one of the classic board games for couples. Graduate from the college, find the love of your life, have kids and a nice house;
- Hive is a simple and speedy 2-player board game title. No setup, maximum positive emotions and many funny evenings are what you should expect from this game.