Choose the Best Board Game for Parties
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Board Games for Parties
2 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
Gathering with your friends means plenty of laughs, tons of fun, and the chance to learn new things about each other. Game night should be all of these things and more. This buyer’s guide will talk about the most popular games for party night.
Surprise your friends and show up with a new game that will spark excitement and end boring gatherings. The great thing about our list of top games is you can buy any or all of the games. You can switch up the groups, bring out a new board game, or use our picks to get to know the people you want to get close to and turn into good friends.
You may find these games are great for family gatherings. While not every option is a family game, most of our picks are excellent for friendly or familial outings. You can even take these games on road trips, when camping, or to visit family for the holidays.
Spontaneous – Best Musical Game
Players take turns in 15-second increments. Games last about half an hour. The game is versatile, so hosts can use it as a drinking game or for family night with younger players.
|Great for any group size||Players must create words for themselves|
|Uses answers from every music genre||–|
|Multiple award winner||–|
|No batteries or extra accessories||–|
Twister – Best Family Game
This game is not a tabletop item. For Twister, the board is the playing mat, and you and your family are the pieces. The key is to see who can move and twist their way to the end.
|Made in the U.S.A||May slide easily on carpeted surfaces|
|New moves on the spinner||–|
|Fun for all age groups||–|
Codenames – Best Clue Game
(yellow paragraph) Teams usually play against each other in this challenging strategy game. May change rules to play as a team against the game. Game uses 25 agents that players must identify before the other team.
|Works for large and small groups||Might not be as fun to play as a two-player game|
5 Second Rule – Best Timed Game
Game includes over 250 dual-sided cards. Each person has only five seconds to come up with three answers to a particular question. You may like that you do not need an even number of players to compete in this game.
|Can play with two people||May contain language not suitable for use around young children|
|Funny sound as the timer runs out||–|
Privacy – Best Drinking Game
This game is great for close friends who are open to revealing a few secrets to the others. With the game setup, players try to guess how their friends answer the questions to get points. The player with the most points at the end wins.
|Excellent for large or small groups||May work best with five or more players|
|Anonymous answers can stay private or not||–|
Buyer’s Guide – Best Party Board Games
Choosing a fun new item for your next party is not a big deal when you have a variety of board games to consider. Our top five list covers a broad range of playing options to give you a mix of ideas. In this section, we will cover some of the questions people tend to ask about party games.
Top questions and answers about party games
Can we play the game with only two players
While most of these games are adaptable for two-person playing, we recommend using these games at parties with three or four people or more. Not all the games on our list are appropriate for younger children, so we suggest reading each review to make sure you pick the right game when playing with younger audiences.
Is there an add on to this game
No. These games do not include options for adding boards, cards, or pieces. These games are standalone play items meant for parties with medium to large gatherings.
How long does it take to play the game
Most of the games on our list take about half an hour to play. Some games are quick with only 15 minutes of play while others may take about an hour when playing with several people. Sometimes, the game time depends on how whether teams or individuals are playing. It may take longer for some games when there are only two people playing.
How do you win the game
Each game includes an instructions and rules list that spells out how to play the game. Determining the winner is in the directions. How to finish the game, who throws the dice first, and how to set up the board are other things you should find in the game rules pamphlet that comes in the box.
Can we play the game as a team
Some of the games on our list are games you can play as a team. Codenames is a game that is easy to play as an individual or as a team. Most of the other games are better when playing as an individual vying to win the whole enchilada.
Can I take this game with me
Yes. All of the games on our list are choices you can take mobile. Whether you want to use these games when camping or the next time you visit your best friend, you can take them with you. All of the games are portable and lightweight letting you carry them in a backpack or your luggage.
Video Tutorial: How to Play Twister
Our final word
Boredom won’t actually kill you but surely can waste your time in vain. My friends and I who created this awesome website – Jenga-Game – save ourselves from boredom by means of different board games. Jenga is our favorite but a few months ago, we decided to include other awesome titles that don’t involve building a tower with wooden blocks.
And you know, there are hundreds of board blockbusters for parties that we’ve previously skipped. Wow. So, I tested about 12 different titles and so did my friends – in general, about 30 hours were spent for testing. The outcome of my tests was analyzed and this top was compiled.
My criteria for picking party board games:
- Funny games that are appreciated by all party members (in this case, my friends);
- Products under $50;
- Easy to understand, simple but catchy game mechanics;
- They must be good both for drinking and game night parties;
- The average gaming session is no less than 20 minutes;
- They shouldn’t be offensive;
So, according to this quite shortlist of my modest demands, the review counts 5 ultimate party board titles that literally will be awesome for everyone.
As you can see, I picked such titles for this guide:
- Spontuneous – it is good both for small and big groups (from 4 players). The recommended age is 8+, though, so don’t expect much. My drinking buddies found it hilarious, but I would recommend this title to family game nights as well. The average session lasts for 30 minutes;
- Twister – should I really tell why? It is good when you are sober, when you are drunk, when you are a kid, when you are a grown-up. Seriously, if you don’t have Twister, go buy it;
- Codenames – a more serious title that can be played by 2-8 friends aged over 16 years;
If you go to a mix of parties, then we suggest purchasing two or three of the games on our list. With the 5 Second Rule and Codenames, you can adapt the rules for the number of players. If you want a drinking game, then Privacy is an excellent option to keep in the trunk of the car or at your favorite place to crash when drinking. We recommend checking all of the manufacturer’s comments and online forums before choosing a game for younger children to play. Not every game is suitable for small children. All of the games on our list may become addicting or the most popular game on the table.
Surely, if I included all the products that I liked playing during party nights, this list will be very long. But the rule of 5 works perfectly, I really picked the best of the best board hits. But I would like to listen to your opinion – what board games do you play with your friends? Leave a comment and bookmark this website.
Board Games for Parties FAQ:
What is the funniest board game for many people?
Fun is so subjective. Just like love or fear. Everyone understands fun differently. But there are many board games with a funny concept that can make most people laugh or, at least, smile. Usually, these games are good for big groups, they should be easy to understand and play, without any special skills.
That is why some specific strategy or deduction games won’t be appropriate for fun, though, you should take into account the interests of all participants. Funny board games can be great for playing at parties, during family gaming nights with kids (if the game doesn’t have age restrictions).
Below you may check a few board games with the fun concept:
- Apples to Apples – a hilarious card game;
- Cards Against Humanity – a best-selling party game title with dark humor themes;
- Exploding Kittens – a fun game that is friendly to all ages;
- Codenames is a strategic party game free from boredom;
- Wits and Wagers adds some fun to standard trivia games;
- The Game of Things delivers a funny way to know your friends or family closer;
- What Do You Meme? – can be a good choice for the fans of Internet memes;
- Monikers – a fancy and funny version of the classic party game Fishbowl;
What to look for in a party board game?
The definition of a party board game is quite subjective. But, anyway, it should match such criteria:
- It should have a board or cards to play;
- The manufacturer should specify the number of players – 4+ players for party games;
- The rules should be simple and understandable for all the participants;
- The gaming sessions should be no more than 1 hour. Ideally – 20-30 minutes;
- It should be funny – though if all the players want to play a serious game, there are no limits. Anyway, good laughter can’t hurt;
You should also consider the level of competition and the age of all players. Otherwise, some people may find the selected board game boring or too complicated. It is better to stick to classic titles if you don’t know anything about the preferences of people or even the number of players.
You may check the following board game titles. Perhaps, you will find
Which game is the most compact to take with me?
Most board games are travel-friendly and they don’t occupy a lot of space. Unless, you decided to play giant Jenga in your backyard. However, it is hard to name the most compact game – probably, all card-based titles can fall into this category.
You just need to seek the board game with a wooden or hard plastic carrying case. And do not forget to check the product’s specifications like weight and dimensions of the board and card box.
Also, you may check these compact board games:
- Splendor is suitable for 2-4 players aged over 10 years;
- Welcome To is a very compact puzzle game in a tiny box. It can entertain up to 10 (!) players aged over 10 years;
- Monopoly is an ultimate classic game. Its card box can fit any trunk or backpack;
Which board game can be played in a group of teens?
Just like adults, teenagers have different interests. Some teens would love to play D&D, while their age-mates can play Twister in the next room. If you pick the best board games for teens, consider such factors as the age range of the players, their preferences, the number of players (opt for the games suitable for 4-10 players), and the theme of your party.
Here are a few board games for teens that you may like:
- Unstable Unicorns is a quite popular game among teenage girls;
- Phone Phever is a nice pick for smartphone addicts;
- Spontuneous is a world’s famous karaoke game;
- Pick your Poison is a teen version of the popular card game “Would you rather?”;
- 5 Second Rule is a simple and funny game for a bunch of teens with different interests;
- Rollick is a charades game “on steroids”;
- What Are The Odds? is a fun game full of twists and dares;
- Monopoly Fortnite Edition – if the teens at your party like playing the popular video game Fortnite, this Monopoly version may become very suitable;
What would be the best board games for a dinner party?
Nowadays a dinner party can mean anything from a pink tea even to a casual family dinner. But it is definitely not the wild party where people mostly dance and drink alcohol. Though, dinner parties may also include drinking people.
If the meeting of family and friends is what you define as a dinner party, then you may want to entertain your guests with entertaining and funny board games. The sky’s the limit here. But it would be better to avoid too active or long games because after dinner and a few glasses of wine people tend to relax.
Instead, you may want to look for such board games:
- Simple card games;
- Any 20-minute strategic games;
- The games for 4-8 people;
Blankr, Never Have I Ever, Exploding Kittens, Mindjob, Articulate, Cards Against Humanity, Taboo, Pass Out – check these awesome games if the dinner party you arrange is mostly for adults.
What are the main types of party board games for groups?
According to the experts and user reviews, all party board games fall into 3 major categories:
- Charades/trivia/challenges/quests games where one participant or a small team should answer the questions or describe an object for a limited time. For example, most drinking games and tower-building hits like Jenga also belong to this category;
- The traitor games where players have secret intentions or roles. A lot of positive tension is built during such games. People decide whom they can trust and who should beware;
- Deduction board games (think of Codenames or Cluedo) – will help to build teamwork and help new people know each other;
Some games have hybrid concepts and players can change the rules depending on the age, tastes, preferences, and interests of a certain group of people.
Here is the list of a few great board party games of different types:
- Cards Against Humanity;
- That’s What She Said;
- The Game of Things (2018 Edition);
- Speed Charades Board Game;
- Cranium Three-In-One Board Game;